Monday, April 16, 2012

Speeding Ticket

A month ago, on a trip to Tucson, I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket.  The policeman was driving a motorcycle and clearly had an attitude.  I was driving my red Hummer, covered in mud as we had just had rain at the ranch.  My Hummer stood out in city traffic like a sore thumb.  I was traveling at the same speed as everyone else, not passing everything in sight, but I was singled out.  In receiving the ticket, I was given a choice:  pay a fine of $250, go to driving school online or in person, or plead my case before a judge.

I chose online driving school.  I checked recommended driving schools online and chose one.  I went through the process, paying with my credit card, scanning and emailing a copy of my ticket and my driver's license, and then waited for confirmation that I could begin.  I got through the first "chapter" quickly, and then the system would not allow me to go on.  I tried a couple of different things, then called the driving school's 800 number.  Their system had gone down and wouldn't be back up for at least 12 hours!  At that point I wanted to finish driving school, so I wouldn't have to spend another day dealing with it, so I called and cancelled my enrollment.  I asked for the name of the phone assistant, in case there was an issue with my cancellation.  I thought I didn't understand her, so I asked her to spell her name.  T-A-R-A-N-T-J-U-L-I-A.  Who names their kid Tarantjulia?

I quickly regrouped and signed up with another online driving school.  Four hours later, I successfully completed the program and they assured me online and via phone that they would process my paperwork and send to Tucson Municipal Court.  Today would have been my court date.  I'm hopeful that the online driving school held up their end of our bargain and submitted whatever was necessary to Tucson Municipal Court, so I'm not a fugitive!

Update:  The driving school submitted all required documents and my case was dismissed.  Hooray!