Thursday, April 3, 2014

AFAR Article

I have been getting AFAR magazine for a few years.  I really enjoy it, as well as its website, afar.com.  While riding my stationary bike today, I read an article written by Gabrielle Hamilton, chef/owner of the restaurant Prune.  She won the James Beard Award for Best Chef in 
New York City in 2011.  The article was titled, "Into the Vines," about Gabrielle's visit to Sicily 
last fall during grape harvest.  She visited several vineyards whose wines she sells in her restaurant. 

Near the end of the article, there was a paragraph that made me laugh out loud.  "As Fabio pours me a glass of wine, I know that I will never again allow myself to be intimidated by wine people or wine talk or lists of what's important and what's not.  Winemaking is farming.  Winemaking is cooking.  Winemaking is work.  What we have all been doing these past 14 years is exactly the same."