Monday, December 19, 2011

28 Years Ago, First Day Home From Hospital

Over the past couple of weeks, I thought many times of myself and the first day home from the hospital with a newborn or two.  Gosh, that was scary!  With Audrey, we were living in Tucson.  Her nursery was decorated in Noah's Ark theme, with lots of stuffed animals and a large wall hanging and quilt with Noah's Ark.  My mother came out a few days after she arrived and stayed with me for a week.  At seven days old, we took Audrey on her first outing.  By two weeks old, I started going on short walks with her.  We took her on her first real hike at two months old, on the trail to 
Finger Rock in the Santa Catalina Mountains in Tucson.

We brought Claire and Whitney home in Dallas, at eight days old.  They required full time heart and breathing monitors and we had to wait about two hours after we got home, for the monitor delivery.  My mother again came to help and she and I held both babies until the monitors arrived.  Audrey couldn't take her eyes off them.  At 17 months, her world had been turned upside down!  Within a month, we got battery packs for the monitors so I could take the girls on walks in our neighborhood in Dallas.  We got three strollers that could be connected as a triple stroller. 
First Moments Home with Claire and Whitney, Audrey checking them out.