Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Flowers and Calf Birth

Papa and I hiked this morning to get close to an agave in full bloom.  Along the way there were other flowers blooming, egg shaped rocks, and other finds.  I loved the flowers, teaming with insects and bees.  

Just after lunch, I looked out and noticed a cow two ridges over.  She appeared uncomfortable, so I got the binoculars and noticed a little calf within a couple feet of her.  I checked an hour later and she was still in the same area with the calf laying in the grass with buzzards all around.  Papa jumped on Bob and rode over to get closer.  After a few minutes the mother cow charged at the birds and they took off.  We continued watching and the baby calf stood up and nursed.  Then mother cow and baby calf walked up the to the top of the ridge and out of sight.  All was well.