Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Petra Again

On Sunday, I made my second trip to Petra, this time with Mary.  We planned an overnight at the Movenpick Hotel and took the JETT bus from Amman at 6:30 on Sunday morning.  We arrived by 10 a.m., had breakfast, and arrived at the gate to Petra by 11.  As I visited Petra last November with Papa, Claire, and Emerson, I had an idea about the things I wanted to see this time.  We got off the beaten path, up close, and inside many of the ancient tombs.

In mid afternoon, as Mary and I were hiking amidst ancient church ruins, we saw a camel vendor that Papa had chatted with months ago.  We saw him again later in the day and made arrangements to meet the next morning.  On day 2, Mary and I rode camels for over two hours, in a quiet area with few tourists.  We had mint tea with a Bedouin family living in a cave.  We then hiked to The High Place overlooking the valley of Petra.  The whole experience of going to Petra again was incredible!