Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grazing Sheep

I've gone for walks in Claire's neighborhood the past evenings after dinner.  Just as I was in front of the British Embassy this evening, I noticed a herd of sheep on the other side of the wall across the street.  Another man out for a walk saw them first and started taking photos.  I opened my lens cap and did the same thing.  One of the armed Jordanian guards in front of the British Embassy started yelling to put the cameras away.  These guards are armed with machine guns!  The other man quickly moved along.  I walked toward the guard and asked if I could take photos of the sheep, assuring him that I would not turn around and photo the Embassy.  He stood next to me while I took photos. 

Seeing sheep in the middle of the city with their shepherd is quite common in Amman.  
Bedouin can graze their animals on any open space in the country.