Thursday, January 13, 2011

Time for Ourselves

I have spent three days in Tucson, taking some time for myself.  I had an hour session with a personal trainer, focusing on exercises to improve my bone strength, hoping to avoid some of the harmful effects of my osteoporosis.  I took a two hour photography class one night.  I had a one hour and forty five minute pedicure.  That was nice!  A gift from Whitney.  Then last night, I watched the Tucson Memorial Service for the victims of Saturday's massacre.  The words that have stuck with me:

“It’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking
with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds.” 

"We recognize our own mortality, and are reminded that in the fleeting time we have on this earth, what matters is not wealth, or status, or power, or fame – but rather, how well we have loved,
and what small part we have played in bettering the lives of others."

"All of us – we should do everything we can to make sure this country
lives up to our children's expectations."