Friday, September 6, 2013

Cleaning Silver

I'm helping Carly with a bridal shower for Savannah tomorrow.  I got out several silver serving pieces last night, and they were tarnished to nearly black.  I quickly filled the sink with warm water.  I placed a large piece of aluminum foil at the bottom of the sink, then poured in 2-3 tablespoons of table salt.  I put a large silver platter in the sink, with another piece of aluminum foil on top.  Within a few minutes, I rinsed the platter and most of the tarnish was gone!  Voila!  Ready for the party!

The reason this works... when salt, aluminum foil, and water are combined, they create an ion exchange, so the tarnish on the silver is transferred to the aluminum foil.  Try it with silver flatware.  The results are amazing and there's no silver polishing!