Friday, September 7, 2012

Design Mom

Once a week, I check out the blog Design Mom.  The blogger is a designer and mother of six.  Her family is currently living in a farmhouse in the French countryside. She posts about where design and motherhood intersect.  She is probably the most successful blogger in the world, with over a million followers.  I don't envy her raising six kids, but what fun to spend time in France, doing what they want, and making a great living blogging!

From Design Mom:
"I started Design Mom in 2006, 2 months after my 5th baby was born. I was 31. The site grew quickly and I found myself with an accidental new career.  Six months or so into starting this blog, I was getting introduced to all kinds of new media. Delicious. Stumble Upon. Digg. My brother Josh suggested I start a Digg for females. Which was a brilliant idea. So I did. There’s now a book. A conference. Another conference. Social media classes. 30 excellent editors. And all sorts of parties and events. You can find the most interesting stuff on Kirtsy.

After eight years in New York, we moved to Colorado in May 2009. We love the mountains. The gorgeous skies. We moved to France in February 2011 for a year.  We're having so much fun, we've extended our stay.  I really enjoy blogging.  And I try hard to think of ways to keep it fresh. Some things haven’t worked.   But other things have caught on. For example, I’ve been credited with inventing blog giveaways, blog button exchanges and blog fund-raising auctions."